Lead formulation and implementation of projects and programs in water resources development and management in line with ADB’s Water Policy and the Water Operational Plan 2010-2020, as well as economic cooperation program and other sub-regional cooperation programs. Lead as mission leader or member promotion of sustainable water resources management applying the concepts such as the integrated water resource management, participatory irrigation management, and public private partnership through in investment projects and non-lending products and services. Work within general policies, principles and goals, working directly with clients.
- a. Strategy and planning
- Lead the development of sector strategy options for ADB-supported activities in the water resource development, climate change adaptation in the water sector, rural infrastructure, and water-related disaster management.
- Undertake and supervise economic, thematic, and sector work in emerging challenges in water resource management, climate change adaptation, and water-related disaster management, and identify investment opportunities to promote integrated water resources management and regional cooperation in the water sector.
- Coordinate ADB cooperation with relevant regional bodies and multilateral regional water programs.
- Lead the design and administration of regional cooperation activities, including conducting dialogue with national governments, regional organizations, bilateral donors, non-government organizations (NGOs) and other development banks.
- Contribute substantially to Country Partnership Strategy) and Business Plans.
- Contribute to the development of water sector policies, strategies and plans for developing member countries (DMCs) through the preparation and administration of advisory technical assistance (TA) projects.
- b. Project management
- Lead as a mission leader or a key technical member for the identification, preparation, appraisal and implementation of water resources, agricultural water management, rural infrastructure, and natural resources management projects.
- Supervise loan, grant and TA projects in the environment, natural resources and agriculture sector with high levels of risk and complexity, and possibly conflicting stakeholder interests.
- Provide substantial technical input into the development and administration of projects in the areas of water resources (basin Water), water management for agriculture (rural water) and sustainable development.
- c. Policy and project evaluation
- Review relevant ADB documents on water sector and natural resources management.
- Lead the evaluation of water sector policies and projects; intra-regional and regional cooperation activities in the water sector; and on the role of water in developing rural economies and poverty reduction.
- d. Staff supervision
- Take the role of mission leader and supervise the work of mission members.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Master's degree, or equivalent, in water resources, hydrology, agricultural or civil engineering. University degree in water resources, hydrology, agricultural or civil engineering combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Relevant Experience
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in water sector project planning, design, field works, construction supervision and administration
- Strong ability to perform work independently in own field of specialization, equipped with knowledge and experience of multiple disciplines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- International experience working in development in several countries
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes