The Conference seeks to identify common ground between adaptation research and adaptation decision-making by comparing experiences, reporting new insights and revealing key gaps in knowledge. Some of the other questions being asked include:
- Many countries have developed climate change adaptation strategies, but do decision-makers really have the appropriate information, expertise and tools available to them to implement adaptation decisions ?
- What adaptation research is underway and where is information currently lacking ?
- Is it more sensible to wait and see what happens, or to implement adaptation measures right away?
- How should adaptation policies be targeted – where are they needed most and who should be responsible for implementing them?
- Do the adaptation decisions of today need to be effective in 30 years time ? In 100 years time?
- What is the cost of climate change to the environment and society, how do we measure that cost and who foots the bill ?