The Engineering Manager has to confer with management, production, and marketing staff to discuss project specifications and procedures. The EM Coordinates and directs projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities. Analyzes technology, resource needs, and market demand, to plan and assess the feasibility of projects. Plans and directs the installation, testing, operation, maintenance, and repair of facilities and equipment.
- Review and recommend or approve contracts and cost estimates.
- Present and explain proposals, reports, and findings to clients.
- Consult or negotiate with clients to prepare project specifications.
- Set scientific and technical goals within broad outlines provided by top management.
- Administer highway planning, construction, and maintenance.
- Direct the engineering of water control, treatment, and distribution projects.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate survey work with other staff activities, certifying survey work, and writing land legal descriptions.
- Confer with and report to officials and the public to provide information and solicit support for projects.
- Prepare budgets, bids, and contracts, and direct the negotiation of research contracts.
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department, service, laboratory or firm.
- Perform administrative functions such as reviewing and writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules, and making decisions about the purchase of materials or services.
- Recruit employees; assign, direct, and evaluate their work; and oversee the development and maintenance of staff competence.